Monday, September 23, 2013

The Ugly Duckling of Decatur

The Ugly Duckling of Decatur

 Many of you may be familiar with Pinterest... if you're anything like me, you can spend hours on it at a time and not even realize it. In the design industry, we love the wonderful world of Houzz. Houzz.com is a one-stop resource for any remodeling ideas you could possibly think of.

In the past month, Houzz has featured two projects that I have worked on. Let's take a peek at one of them...

This renovation really is a story of the ugly duckling turning into the beautiful swan. On a charming street in downtown Decatur, GA, sat a dilapidated green house that seemed to be hopeless. With the help of the Renewal Design-Build team, the clients were able to see the potential of this home and made an offer on the property.
Looks like a lost cause, right? Well, I hate to tell you this my friends, but you're dead wrong!

Due to the historic location of the property, the architect was faced with a lot of restrictions for the addition to this home. He worked his magic and created a plan that exceeded the clients expectations. This also gave me a beautiful blank canvas to work on the kitchen and bathroom designs. Here's a few pictures of the finished product!
The new Kitchen sits in the back of the house and looks out to the pool that was built during this renovation as well. By incorporating the large center island, cabinets to the ceiling, and large pendant lights, I was able to highlight the 10-foot ceilings and overall scale of the room.

I'm fairly certain I could start my day getting ready in this Master Bathroom! The architectural detail of the sliding doors ties in with the color of the Espresso cabinets, and let's be honest... the "egg tub" (as I like to call it) would be the perfect place to relax!

 
This ended up being one of my favorite rooms in the house. The Guest Bath vanity is an antique piece that the clients found at Scott Antique Market. If you live in or near the Atlanta area, I HIGHLY recommend you check it out... it's amazing! You can find all types of unique treasures there... but I digress...

This clawfoot bathtub was salvaged from the original house. It was refinished by a local company and the charm and character add a wonderful finishing touch to this space. A custom shower curtain track is installed on the ceiling and the drapery in the front covers all of this from being shown.


Here's a view of the exterior after we completed the project! A lot of teamwork went into this renovation and I'm so excited to share it with you! For more pictures and information about the project, I encourage you to check out the Houzz article: New Life for a Historic Georgia Fixer-Upper
 
 
I'm heading to a design conference in Minneapolis for the rest of the week, but I'll be back soon!
  
 
All photos courtesy of Renewal Design-Build


No comments:

Post a Comment