Thursday, March 20, 2014

It's SPRING... Finally!

It's SPRING... Finally! 

I love this season for so many reasons. My birthday, longer daylight hours, and especially the gorgeous colors that come along with all of the flowers in bloom. There's no reason that Mother Nature should be the only one enjoying those vibrant colors... here are a few tips to bring spring inside your home!

I've mentioned before how much I love to incorporate pops of color using the 'soft goods' and accessory items. I have a tendency to 'shop' in different rooms of my house borrowing pillows from my Guest Room and putting them in my Living Room and so on. It can liven up a space with very little effort -- or expense.

Photo Credit: Society6 (left) and Fine Luxury Linens (right)
Here are a couple springtime-inspired pillows that I love. The soft pattern in the mint green pillow is right up my alley. I love the brightness and vibrancy, and am sure it would warm up a space right away. The pink pillow on the other hand is more of a departure from my everyday style, but for a couple months of the year, I think it's great! Looking at the whimsical print makes me want to go find a meadow  (or maybe Piedmont Park) and frolic about. 

I LOVE the Dining Room in the image below... just think how great the host & hostess chairs would look if there was a decorative pillow with some bright colors sitting in each of them. As a bit of a side note totally unrelated to spring, but absolutely related to interesting design... note all of the different styles of chairs surrounding this table. I love the diversity among the styles, materials, and textures shown in this space! 
Photo Credit: Historical Concepts

Next up... Bookcase Makeover 101. We all have had that bookcase that just feels a little drab no matter how many great accessories you may have on it. This springspiration is a little more of a commitment, but it can have a lasting impression. 
Photo Credit: Unknown 
Run over to your local paint supplier... find a color that you love (again - it's spring, so go for something with a little life)... and then paint the back of the bookcase this color. You can even do an ombre application and go a shade darker every shelf that you go down. Note the navy and brass in the photo above... remind you of anything??

Another awesome part about this time of year (well, until you're an adult and work alllllll the time) is spring break! I remember all those trips to the beach in high school and college... full of memories that I won't discuss here ;) There are a lot of aspects of beach life that are making their way in to homes far from the shoreline.
Photo Credit: Terrat Elms
Driftwood. We've all seen it while perusing the beach on vacation. Next time you pass by a piece, think about how much you'd pay for the exact same thing in a store. Then snap back to reality, pick it up, bring it home, and put it on display. Looking at it will evoke fond memories of your trip, and you'll have some extra moolah to spend on something else (errr... a fancy bottle of wine for girls night, or maybe some new shoes??) 

The word 'pastels' can take you straight to Baby-Town USA, but don't let it (unless you're expecting, then proceed at full steam ahead)! I'm the first to admit that I have a more neutral color palette in my house. But there's one thing I love coming home to and that's a beautiful floral arrangement.
Photo Credit: Ariston Flowers NYC
The photo above shows a very neutral room with pastel pink (and green) flowers. It's just enough. It's soft, yet lively. Subtle, yet interesting. Incorporating live plants and flowers helps to bring this gorgeous time of year from the outside in -- minus all the pollen!
Photo Credit: Unknown
Rustic chair. Vibrant flowers. I rest my case. 

Spring is here and I am officially obsessed! It's a gorgeous night here in Atlanta, so I'm gonna go enjoy it! 

Have a great evening, y'all!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment