Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Get Trendy: Take 2!

Get Trendy: Take 2!

Welcome back, trendsetters! Last week, I shared some insider knowledge on what you can expect to see with design trends in the next year. Because there was so much information, I was forced to split things up into two posts. Check out my first "Get Trendy" post if you missed out... you'll find tons on color pops, high contrast, and lighting! This time around, there's even more to share!

White. It's one of the most classic colors in history. It is timeless and elegant. Sometimes though, this white-on-white color scheme can create a bit of an austere environment. This is where texture comes into play. Texture will be one of the biggest trends to take off in the coming year. It can be expressed in a multitude of ways. There's actual texture that you can touch, and texture created by layering.

Photo Courtesy of: McCoppin Studios
Take this Kitchen for example. If you were to take away the added texture (beams, pendant lights, and floral arrangement), this room would still be beautiful, but not quite as inviting as it feels now. The rustic charm of the beams creates a cozy environment that's fitting for the kitchen (which, in a lot of cases, has become the "hub of the home"). You may think that this type of rusticness would only be suitable in a traditional home, but adding some of this to a modern space has an enormous impact as well!

Photo Courtesy of: Moss-Design
Check out the Kitchen in this loft! It's gorgeous... but more importantly... it invites you in for a visit! Without the beams and brick wall, this kitchen would be a pretty stark environment. The texture that these elements brings in completely changes the feel of the room. The mix of rustic and modern is literally one of my favorites!

At this point, I know what you're probably thinking... brick walls and wooden beams are quite the undertaking for a weekend project, but don't fret... there are easier ways to incorporate texture into your home!

Photo is my own.
Welcome to a little piece of the place I call home. I bought my first house last year and am loving homeownership so far. It's amazing how much you find out about yourself when you become a homeowner (I may still scream, but who knew I could actually kill a bug on my own?!!)

A lot of the furnishings and accessories that people incorporate into their decor are passed down from family members or have some type of nostalgic meaning. The windows you see in the picture above are no exception. While they certainly add a bit of coziness to the room, for me... these windows represent my childhood. Years ago (when I was still in college), my parents had to replace a huge window at the back of their house. I begged them to keep the old windows so that I could use them one day... and here they are!

Most local antique markets will have vintage doors and windows that can be used in a number of ways to add texture to a room (headboards, desks, etc). I've mentioned it before but if you live in the Atlanta area... Scott Antique Market is AMAZING for "treasure hunting" as I like to call it!

Photo Courtesy of: Amber Interiors
My personal design philosophy is to maintain a fairly neutral substructure in a room and add those pops of color and texture through the "soft goods". This allows you to change things out as often as you want (and if you're anything like me... that's often)!

What's not to love about the room above?! This is a prime example of the addition of texture through layering. A lot of times, people may feel like having too many patterns in one room can be overwhelming, and sometimes those people are right. In this case though, the differing patterns all play towards a common theme. The rug has a bold pattern with multiple colors while the ottoman has a more subdued, monochromatic pattern... it all WORKS!

The one thing I love about being in design is that you learn to appreciate all styles and genres. The most successful people any industry are those who aren't complacent and are always pushing the envelope. Take that confidence in to your home... Don't be afraid to buy something a little outside your comfort zone and try it out. The picture below sums this whole post up pretty well :)












No comments:

Post a Comment