Sunday, November 10, 2013

These are a Few of my Favorite Things!!

These are a Few of my Favorite Things!!

With the holidays right around the corner, I've started daydreaming about all of my favorite things. There are shoes and clothes (and Candy Crush, of course), but I'm lucky enough to see a lot of my favorite things every day when I go to work. As you start to ponder your wish list, don't be afraid to consider some of these beauties... because, let's be honest, who doesn't want a new light or countertops for Christmas?
Without further adieu.... I present... some of my favorite things!

Favorite Thing #1:  Cambria Countertops
           
 Now, I don't want to shock you, but would you believe me if I told you that none of the pictures above are granite? Well, BELIEVE IT! All of these pictures are quartz countertops from Cambria. Granite is comprised of 30%-40% quartz and that is the hardest part of the stone... these products are made of over 90% quartz making them extremely durable! Quartz countertops require no maintenance and with colors like these, you get the overall look of a natural stone! What's not to love?

 
Favorite Thing #2:  3D Tiles
 
Tile can completely change the look of a room. Some of these 3-dimensional tiles would be amazing on a focal wall... or around a fireplace. The possibilities are endless. The texture shown in these Island Stone pieces creates visual interest in the room without being overbearing.
This tile from Porcelanosa just sets off everything else in this space. It creates something that literally draws you in and holds your attention, and that's what design is all about! Speaking of holding your attention... how awesome is that bathtub? I could relax in there for hours... but I digress. Back to business :)



 Earlier this year I attended the Coverings Show in Atlanta. It is a showcase for all things tile. There were beautiful, innovative tiles all over the place, but the Fiandre display was packed and these slabs were the reason why...

Fiandre has taken images of actual semi-precious stones. These images are then ink-jet printed on to a slab of engineered clay. They are fired and ultimately result in a huge, porcelain tile that looks practically identical to the real thing. The slabs can be as large as 60" x 120" and are giving designers a way to create custom features at a fraction of the cost of the real stones. Don't get me wrong... you won't see these types of items at the big box stores as they are still considered high-end, but because they are only 1/4" thick, the weight allows for so many cool applications (I'm thinking a backsplash or shower with NO grout lines or perhaps a custom table top, just to name a few)!


Favorite Thing #4: Industrial Chic Lighting

Lighting is one of those things that sadly can become an afterthought when doing a renovation. There are so many things that need to be decided, and sometimes the lights play second fiddle to many of the other items. The lights can literally make or break a room, so be sure to give them the attention they deserve! Here are a couple I'm obsessed with lately. They have this wonderful old-meets-new, industrial chic vibe to them!
I recently saw this Troy Lighting fixture installed in a showroom in Minneapolis and instantly fell in love. The Menlo Park Collection features hand-worked iron that creates an anchor for the piece. This gives it a sense of uniqueness while the glass softens it and makes it incredibly versatile.

The Steam Punk Hanging Lantern is one that I'm actually about to install in one of my Kitchen renovations (more to come on that project in the coming weeks)! This house was the perfect home for this fixture. A 1920's historic home in the heart of Atlanta, this fixture is able to tie together the existing brass that's visible in the formal rooms of the house with the newly renovated and more modern Kitchen.


Favorite Thing #5: Vintage Industrial Furniture

I stumbled across this Phoenix-based company a few weeks ago while doing some research for a client and have been waiting to highlight them on the blog ever since. I was astounded by the items they create. I'm talking a total jaw-dropping moment! Their furniture is custom and a work of art in my opinion. The craftsmanship and unique characteristics set their products apart from any that I've seen.


Jaw on the floor?? See, I told you!! The tables can be built and customized to meet the needs of your home and with the intricate details on each piece, you're bound to find something new to love about it for years to come!

Well, I'm pretty sure I've bombarded you with enough of my favorite swoon-worthy products. If you know of a company with some unique pieces, I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment