Wednesday, November 20, 2013

This Little Light of Mine...

This Little Light of Mine...

 For those of you that don't know, I'm a huge football fan. My team of choice is UGA. The Bulldawgs have had a bit of a rough season with injuries and what-not, but this past weekend, we were so close to beating one of our rivals, Auburn. And then... that play happened. The most freakish, only happens once in a million years play that gave Auburn a touchdown to win. You could hear a pin drop in my house. What does this have to do with design you might ask? Nothing. What does this have to do with me... Everything!
 
You see, after this heartbreaking game to which I devoted the majority of my Saturday afternoon, I was feeling a bit blue, so what did I do to ease my sorrows... a craft, of course! I took out my frustrations on... drum roll please... my Dining Room light fixture.
 
Check out that beauty. Or not. It's one of the only lights I didn't replace when I renovated my house. It was OK for the time being, but after that UGA-Auburn game... I could take no more! The color, the glass globes... I needed a remedy, and fast. I sauntered my way into Michaels, walked over to the paint aisle, and looked for one of my new favorites -- Antique Brass.
 
You heard me... Brass. This finish is not the old shiny stuff from the 90's. It's subdued and sophisticated, and it's going to start taking over the market. Now, I'm no electrician, so this bad boy was going to have to remain installed as I painted. I took the globes off and it was already looking a lot better!
Now that the globes were gone, I got to painting. I've never painted a light fixture but it was surprisingly easy.
 
We're getting there, people... we're getting there! This picture reminds me of the whole "Make new friends, but keep the old... one is silver and the other's gold". This is actually quite fitting for my house. I feel that you don't have to choose the golds or the silvers. You can merge both into one room and they can work together seamlessly!
 
As I finished painting, I decided that I really REALLY didn't want to put those old globes back up. I hopped on over to Home Depot and purchased three new ones! Between that and the paint... it hardly looks like the same light! Check it out...
I'm debating if I want to add a black glaze to it to give a more antiqued look, but I'm loving it right now, so I decided to leave it. I recently had an awesome find at Z Gallerie that I knew would look perfect with this revitalized light!
 
Voila! A depressing end to a football game led to giving this old light a new life! In the past, I hardly ever turned this light on in an effort of forgetting it even existed, and now... it's on all the time! I love it, and the way the seeded glass reflects off the ceiling is priceless! Eeeeks... yay for craft-time!
 
 
Required Products:
- Paint -- $5/one small bottle
- Paint Brushes -- $4
- Glass Globes -- $6/globe
-------------------------------------
Total Project Cost: $27
 
 
So, the moral of the story is this. Next time your team loses, or you're having a bad day, or your favorite contestant gets voted off Dancing with the Stars... channel that sadness into something good (and crafty)!


1 comment:

  1. What a perfect light to eat cookies and ice cream under :)

    ReplyDelete